Crazy Car Rally Against Cancer Ends In Sydney This Friday
Shitbox Rally - Cancer Council’s biggest national fundraiser - is finishing this Friday May 17 in Centennial Parklands, Sydney.
Over 550 people and 270+ cars will be crossing the finish line and celebrating finishing a ten-day outback journey from Perth via Uluru.
They will also be celebrating a massive fundraising total of over $2.4 million. This will bring the total donated to Cancer Council since 2010 to over $18.8 million Have all 275 cars (worth less than $1k) made the journey from Perth? You'll have to come and find out!
WHEN: Friday 17th May, 2019
MEDIA CALL TIME/CARS START ARRIVING: Approx 1PM-3PM
WHERE: Centennial Parklands, Dickens Lawn
INTERVIEW OPPORTUNITIES: James Freeman, CEO Cancer Council NSW Jeff Mitchell and NSW rally participants
SHITBOX RALLY CAR AUCTION
Beloved cars from the rally will be auctioned off at the Manheim Auctions, Moorebank with all funds raised going towards the Cancer Council. There is NO RESERVE on any cars – all will be sold. Many have had recent mechanical work done including new tyres. It’s a great opportunity to buy your very first car, a bargain second car for the family or a fun ride for backpacking around Australia.
WHEN: Saturday May 18, 2019
PUBLIC VIEWING: 9AM
AUCTION: 10AM - 12PM
WHERE: Manheim Auctions - 144 Moorebank Ave,
Moorebank NSW 2170
INTERVIEW OPPORTUNITIES: James Freeman and rally participants
For more information, maps and image downloads visit: https://www.shitboxrally.com.au/media-and-sponsorship/
ABOUT SHITBOX RALLY
• Since 2010, Box Rallies has raised over $18.6 million to Cancer Council
• The route varies each year, but long stretches of unsealed, dusty and horrendously corrugated roads are guaranteed
• Teams of two spend the year leading up to each rally raising the minimum $5,000 to earn their place
• Support teams of mechanics are along for the ride, to patch up Shitboxes as they inevitably break down.
• The Shitboxes that make it are auctioned off on Saturday May 18 at Manheim Auctions, Moorebank in Sydney with proceeds
going to Cancer Council.
EXAMPLES OF RESEARCH FUNDED
• Testing new drug combinations for pancreatic cancer
• Preventing people with immune deficiencies from developing lymphoma
• Finding new compounds to target the deadliest type of malignant brain tumour
• Developing a way to calculate the safest and most effective dose of radiation for prostate cancer patients
• Analysing the largest data set of melanoma genome sequences in the world, and identifying a treatment to block the
development and spread of neuroblastoma cells
SHITBOX RALLY MEDIA CONTACT:
0429 050 119
*Katherine will be on this year’s rally*
If out of range, please contact
0402 112 952