Medianet is a division of Australian Associated Press Pty Limited (ABN 88 006 180 801) of 3 Rider Blvd, Rhodes, NSW 2138.
We respect your rights to privacy under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Act) and we comply with all of the Act’s requirements in respect of the collection, management and disclosure of your personal information.
Medianet is a supplier of communications solutions to public relations firms, government departments, corporate communications and not-for-profit organisations. Medianet’s press release distribution service allows customers to build and distribute their own press releases to Medianet’s database of media contacts, outlets and publishers. Medinet also provides subscription access to our media contacts database which includes list building and activity management tools to our customers.
For the purposes of this policy, the products and services described in this section will be referred to as “products and services”.
What is your personal information?
What personal customer information do we collect and hold?
We may collect the following types of personal information:
– mailing or street address;
– email address;
– telephone number;
– facsimile number;
– profession, occupation or job title; details of the products and services you have purchased from us or which you have enquired about, together with any additional information necessary to deliver those products and services and to respond to your enquiries;
– any additional information relating to you that you provide to us directly through our websites or indirectly through use of our websites or online presence, through our representatives or otherwise; and
– information you provide to us through our service centre, customer surveys or visits by our representatives from time to time.
We may also collect some information that is not personal information because it does not identify you or anyone else. For example, we may collect anonymous answers to surveys or aggregated information about how users use our website.
How do we collect your personal information?
We collect your personal information directly from you unless it is unreasonable or impracticable to do so. When collecting personal information from you, we may collect in ways including:
– through your access and use of our websites;
– during conversations between you and our representatives;
– when you complete an application or purchase order;
– when you provide us with unsolicited information such as press releases;
– via ‘cookies’ on our website. Cookies are pieces of information that a website transfers to your computer’s hard disk for record-keeping purposes. Cookies in and of themselves do not personally identify users, although they do identify a user’s browser. If you then register with us we will retain the information we received from your cookie.
We may also collect personal information from third parties including
– contact details of potential customers and business contacts through Medianet’s own investigations of or via an existing customer or contact;
We may log IP addresses (that is, the electronic addresses of computers connected to the internet) to analyse trends, administer the website, track users movements, and gather broad demographic information.
What happens if we can’t collect your personal information?
If you do not provide us with the personal information described above, some or all of the following may happen:
– we may not be able to provide the requested products or services to you, either to the same standard or at all;
– we may not be able to provide you with information about products and services that you may want, including information about discounts, sales or special promotions; or
– we may be unable to tailor the content of our websites to your preferences and your experience of our websites may not be as enjoyable or useful.
For what purpose do we collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information?
We collect personal information about you so that we can perform our business activities and functions and to provide best possible quality of customer service.
We collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
– to provide tailored products and services to you and to send communications requested by you;
– to answer enquiries and provide information or advice about existing and new products or services;
– to provide you with access to protected areas of our website;
– to assess the performance of the website and to improve the operation of the website;
– to conduct business processing functions including providing personal information to our related bodies corporate, contractors, service providers or other third parties;
– for the administrative, marketing (including direct marketing), planning, product or service development, quality control and research purposes of Medianet, its related bodies corporate, contractors or service providers;
– statistical purposes to improve the range of our products and services. However, aggregated (ie de-identified) information will generally be used;
– to provide your updated personal information to our related bodies corporate, contractors or service providers;
– to update our records and keep your contact details up to date;
– to process and respond to any complaint made by you; and
– to comply with any law, rule, regulation, lawful and binding determination, decision or direction of a regulator, or in co-operation with any governmental authority.
To whom may we disclose your information?
We may disclose your personal information to:
– our employees, related bodies corporate, contractors or service providers for the purposes of operation of our website or our business, fulfilling requests by you, and to otherwise provide products and services to you including, without limitation, web hosting providers, IT systems administrators, mailing houses, couriers, payment processors, data entry service providers, electronic network administrators, debt collectors, and professional advisors such as accountants, solicitors, business advisors and consultants;
– suppliers and other third parties with whom we have commercial relationships, for business, marketing, insurance and related purposes;
– where required by and due to mandatory requirements of law enforcement agencies, government agencies or courts;
– any organisation for any authorised purpose with your express consent.
We may combine or share any information that we collect from you with information collected by any of our related bodies corporate (within Australia).
Direct marketing materials
We may send you direct marketing communications and information about our products and services that we consider may be of interest to you. These communications may be sent in various forms, including mail, SMS, and email, in accordance with applicable marketing laws, such as the Spam Act 2003 (Cth). If you indicate a preference for a method of communication, we will endeavour to use that method whenever practical to do so. In addition, at any time you may opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us by contacting us (see the details below) or by using opt-out facilities provided in the marketing communications and we will then ensure that your name is removed from our mailing list.
How can you access and correct your personal information?
You may request access to any personal information we hold about you at any time by contacting us (see the details below). Where we hold information that you are entitled to access, we will try to provide you with suitable means of accessing it (for example, by mailing or emailing it to you). We may charge you a reasonable fee to cover our administrative and other reasonable costs in providing the information to you. We will not charge for simply making the request and will not charge for asking any corrections to your personal information.
There may be instances where we cannot grant you access to the personal information we hold. For example, we may need to refuse access if granting access would interfere with the privacy of others or if it would result in a breach of confidentiality. If that happens, we will give you written reasons for any refusal.
If you believe that personal information we hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, then you may request us to amend it. We will consider if the information requires amendment. If we do not agree that there are grounds for amendment then we will make a record noting that you disagree with it.
What is the process for complaining about a breach of privacy?
If you believe that your privacy has been breached, please contact us using the contact information below and provide details of the incident so that we can investigate it. Medianet’s policy is to consider any requests for correction in a timely way.
Do we disclose your personal information to anyone outside Australia?
We may disclose personal information to our related bodies corporate and third party suppliers and service providers located overseas for some of the purposes listed above.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that the overseas recipients of your personal information do not breach the privacy obligations relating to your personal information.
We will treat your requests or complaints confidentially. Our representative will contact you within a reasonable time after receipt of your complaint to discuss your concerns and outline options regarding how they may be resolved. We will aim to ensure that your complaint is resolved in timely and appropriate manner.
Please contact our Privacy Officer at:
Mail: PO Box 3411
Rhodes NSW 2138